- How can I speak with a KYON sales representative?
- In North America, KYON supports veterinarians through the KYON Veterinary Surgical Products office in Boston, Massachusetts.
In other countries, KYON supports veterinarians through the KYON AG office in Zurich, Switzerland.
Additionally, KYON attends many major veterinary conferences in the United States and Europe. At these conferences, we exhibit our latest products and are available to answer your questions.
- How can I get KYON product information?
- You can download many of the KYON product brochures, papers, presentations, and reports from the Research & Development and Symposium pages of this website.
If you would like hard copies of KYON brochures, contact the Zurich, KYON AG, or Boston, KYON Veterinary Surgical Products offices.
- Can I mix competitors' implants with KYON implants?
- KYON implants and instruments are manufactured with proprietary processes that produce superior products to those created by conventional manufacturing processes. Though other companies may be able to estimate the KYON general product design, KYON product dimensions are proprietary. The precision design of KYON products is important for long term product function and optimal fit between implants.
Only the finest quality materials are used to manufacture KYON implants. The metals KYON uses have been scientifically proven to be of the best biocompatibility and quality available today.
With these features and qualities, the mixing of KYON implants with the implants from other companies is not recommended. The overall performance may be compromised due to the differences in design, chemical composition, mechanical properties, and quality.
Given these qualities are trade-secret, no competitor of KYON can make a genuine claim "the same as KYON." Combining implants from other companies with KYON implants could reduce product performance. Consequently, it is strongly recommended to not mix parts from different manufacturers.
- Why self-tapping screws?
- All KYON screws are self-tapping. Self-tapping screws have several advantages. They eliminate the time required to tap a screw hole, reducing surgical time. The osseous thread cutting is always done with a "new" cutting flute thereby guaranteeing optimal performance and minimal heat generation. And the expense of replacing taps is eliminated.
The disadvantages of self-tapping screws is that if a screw is being reinserted it could theoretically cut a new thread. Also, the screw flute is shallow and may become clogged during insertion into thick, dense cortical bone.
- Why titanium?
- Can I mix implants of different metals?
- The major factor regarding whether mixed metals can create clinical problems is related to a corrosion property known as galvanic corrosion. Galvanic corrosion is an accelerated form of corrosion that may occur when two dissimilar metals are coupled in the body. Each metal has a distinct corrosion potential in an electrochemically conductive fluid which are ever-present in the body. These dissimilar metals behave like the positive and negative terminals of a battery and corrosion currents may be generated.
The metal ions released from corrosion reactions can cause inflammatory response, metal sensitivity reactions, and/or long term detrimental systematic effects. In addition, the corrosion process can reduce the mechanical strength of the implants.
The scientific basis for determining whether various mixed metals will create galvanic corrosion effects in the body is a fairly complicated matter. Mixing of stainless steel implants with unalloyed titanium, titanium alloys, and cobalt base alloy implants should be avoided for implants that are in contact with each other. Titanium, titanium alloy, and cobalt base implants can normally be mixed without encountering serious galvanic corrosion problems.
The use of mixed metals in the same bone is not a problem as long as the implants are not in direct contact with each other. For instance, the use of a stainless steel plate for a distal fracture and titanium plate for a proximal fracture on the same femur is acceptable so long as the implants are not in physical contact.
- Can I purchase KYON products without having a KYON account?
- KYON only sells veterinary products to licensed veterinarians. In order to purchase KYON veterinary products, you must have an active KYON account.
If you would like to purchase SWISSORS or any other non-veterinary KYON product, contact the KYON office servicing your area to arrange shipping and payment.
- How do I create a KYON account?
- The Americas:
If you are interested in becoming a KYON client and would like to create an account, please complete the KYON Client Registration form and email or fax the completed form to the Boston office. New accounts will be configured within 24 hours of receipt.
phone: 617.567.2436Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia:
If you are interested in becoming a KYON client and would like to create an account, please complete the KYON Client Registration form and email or fax the completed form to the Zurich office. New accounts will be configured within 24 hours of receipt.
phone: +41 44 350 31 05
fax: +41 44 350 31 06
- How do I place an order?
- With a current KYON account, orders may be placed by phone, fax, or email.
In the Americas, contact KYON Veterinary Surgical Products
phone: 617.567.2436In Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia, contact KYON AG
phone: +41 44 350 31 05
fax: +41 44 350 31 06
- What shipping services do you offer?
- In the Americas:
Orders received before 3pm Eastern Standard Time will be processed and shipped that day. We attempt to process orders received after 3pm EST that day, but in some cases they will be processed on the next business day. Default shipping is Priority Overnight via FedEx for arrival by 10:30 am the following business day, to most destinations. All KYON orders include a $10.00 shipping and handling surcharge. Some shipping options are not available to certain destinations.
KYON Veterinary Surgical Products offers the following shipping options via FedEx:
- First OvernightIn Switzerland:
- Priority Overnight
- Standard Overnight
- Express Saver
Orders from Switzerland, received before 4 pm Central European Time will be processed and shipped that day. We attempt to process orders received after 4pm EST that day, but in some cases they will be processed on the next business day. Orders shipped within Switzerland are sent overnight via A-Post for arrival the following business day, to most destinations. All KYON orders include a 10.00 CHF shipping and handling surcharge.
In the rest of Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia:
Orders from the European Union, received before 2 pm Central European Time will be processed and shipped that day. We attempt to process orders received after 2pm CET that day, but in some cases they will be processed on the next business day. Orders are sent Next Day Delivery via FedEx for arrival the following business day, to most destinations. All KYON orders include a € 10.00 shipping and handling surcharge.
- What is KYON's warranty policy?
- Please see our warranty policy here: http://kyon.ch/catalog-ordering/warranty-returns
- What is KYON's return policy?
- We will accept implants returned in their original packaging within 30 days of purchase. Returns are subject to a 15% inspection and restocking charge.
Prices and terms are subject to change without notice.